Wednesday, January 6, 2010

What you know about REAL Music ??!







This one has been bothering me for quite some time. But after listening to the local R&B Station attempt an ill-fated "mash-up" of Dr. King's I Have a Dream Speech and Crime Mob's Nuck if you Buck, this issue has to be addressed! I understand the kids of this generation really don't know our past and history, yet alone real MUSIC.Its not there fault- I blame the shit on BET. Still, I hope I never have to hear that bullshit again( SN: Joe Bullard, your time has come and gone. If you have to resort to such bullshit to get call-ins, then its time to fuckin hang em up...Stepping off my soapbox now).
Now, I know alot of these kids today claim they have the best of everything including technological advances to entertainment choices. But one thing they sorely lack in is REAL music.
In honor of the NFL Playoffs, we are gonna tackle this one "Tale of the Tape" style. For those unfamiliar with that format, we will list the combatants head to head in several categories and see who comes out on top. We will seperate the new school/ old school by anything prior to 1998 belongs to the old school and 1999 or later is new school( yes, its my blog so I make the fuckin rules...DEAL WITH EM!)...


TALE OF THE TAPE

Best Rappers of the Generation

Old Skool: Lets see...we can choose from 2PAC, Biggie, Slick Rick, Big Daddy Kane, Rakim...I could go on and on..

New Skool: OOH! You guys have Eminem! and Weezy F Baby, please say the Baby...and Luda....and Kanye when he aint acting bipolar...aaaannnnddd, who am I kidding that about sums it up. For the sake of argument I will give you guys Jay-Z even though his 1st album was dropped back in 97-98( again my blog. Those with a problem STFU!!)


EDGE: Old Skool in a landslide. Look, when your most popular rapper of the decade is white and the 2nd in line cannot prove he is speakin verifiable English 67.5% of the time, there is a huge problem.


Best R&B Singers of the Generation

Old Skool: We have Luther Vandross, Whitney Houston(pre-Bobby), Anita Baker, Usher, R Kelly( pre-pissing free-for-all), Mary J Blige, Faith Evans, Maxwell

New Skool: Beyonce(LMAO at the mere thought some of you actually consider this broad an actually good singer. Dont hurt me Zina),Alicia Keys, Trey Songz, Musiq, Jill Scott, Erykah Badu

EDGE: In a much closer than anticipated vote, all bias aside, I am gonna have to give this one to OLD SKOOL but it was tough, due to some ultra talented ladies swinging the vote in the new skool's direction. Neo-Soul was invented during this time frame so I cannot belittle the new skool for their efforts. But seriously, do some of you ladies really think Tre Songz is the answer to R&B's search for a leading man? WTF?!


Best Group/Click/Posse Rap and R&B

Old Skool: EPMD, Bad Boy Family, NWA, 2 Live Crew, No Limit Soldiers, Kid N Play, Exscape, Total, Boyz II Men, TLC, 112, Bell Biv Devoe.....

New Skool: Destiny's Child, G-Unit, Cash Money Boys, Ruff Ryders, Danity Kane..ok Im gonna stop right there because unless I am having a serious mental freeze New Skool cannot even begin to compete in this one...

EDGE: OLD SKOOL

Some of you may think my views are slanted(rightfully so) but it was clear then as it is now, that Old Skool is where its at...dont believe me?



Feel free to leave me your thoughts....

1 comment:

  1. OLD SCHOOL all the way! There is really no comparison! When the heck did the artists of my day start being considered as "Old School"? I am faaaaaarrrrrr too young for that!!!!!!!

    Karma

    ReplyDelete